Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue Paratya australiensis

Default Blue Paratya australiensis

I got a shipment of shrimp from Livefish today, and got one blue shrimp i know others of you have got the same, i was wondering about the longevity of the colour? whether its inheritable? only time will tell i think mines a female but the colour makes it hard to discern a saddle, however it is quite a large specimen which would lead me to believe it is a female.

sorry for the bad pictures.

So cool.

I want some.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I've had a few blues - I'm pretty sure they've turned that colour in the tank, mind you, because I didn't see blues in the bag when I was acclimatising them...

No blues in the last batch though - am thinking I'll need some for the 140L soon though, hope to get some more, then I'll put all the blues together in the cube, if I can catch 'em all... lol

The blue seems to stay - I still have blues in the hex...

HOLY COW BATMAN!!!
    I got a shipment of 50 from the same place today and i have 4 blue ones
    1 really dark with white stripes, 2 neon blue, and one a pale blue
    SOOOO coooll
    cheers
    chris

i only got one once its berried ill put it in a seperate tank and see how it goes, once it gives birth (do shrimp give birth?) releases ill remove the mother and see what evolves. This shrimp is darker than the ones ive had before, i had two males in my last shipment that were pale blue. Females express more colour in RCS maybe this is similar? I noticed on this one that the lateral line is blue too, i dont remember seeing this last time.

I got my shipment the other week but no blue shrimp, shame. When I got them they had quite a bit of red on their tails, but now they've all gone the clear with brown/red markings.
    Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

I got two - one is aqua - the other a deep blue. I'm still not 100% convinced livefish.com.au's shrimp are all Paratya australiensis.

I posted about this in another thread - I got a shipment today for my new plant tank and there were 3 blue and a baby that was fainter blue. But I'm a bit suss on the colouring being naturally occuring. Not to imply anything untowards, I just mean it almost looks like a med they've absorbed or something? I stress, I'm not suggesting Livefish do anything to them in any way, I'm just wondering if the colour has occurred as aresult of something to a shrimp that was originally clear? I could be wrong, I normally only think of shrimp as food and don't keep them or know much about them other than they are high in protein and the catfish loves them.
    I'll try to get some pics of mine tomorrow
    Last edited by Danus; 01-08-07 at 09:41 PM.
    Study how water flows in a valley stream,smoothly and freely between the rocks.Everything even mountains, rivers, plants and trees should be your teacher - Morihei Ueshiba

In the care sheet available from Aquarium International:

http://aquariumindustries.com.au/fis...php?cat_id=116

It mentions them as coming in 'rarer varieties which are coloured' - I've seen mention somewhere of glass shrimp being red, blue, and some other colour that I can't place, probably yellow...

Well, as I say, I know nothing about shrimp
    Study how water flows in a valley stream,smoothly and freely between the rocks.Everything even mountains, rivers, plants and trees should be your teacher - Morihei Ueshiba

Update - I killed most of mine including the blues. I am also available for baby sitting.....

noooooooooooooooooooooo.......

How?

The confession is in this thread Grubs!

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...?t=2076&page=4

Thats sad to hear Danus, hopefully once the tank stabilises you can add some more.

I found some more blue or semi blue, one female normal coloured with a blue lateral line, another female with a blue tail and a light blue male, none of these were showing any colour before i put them in the tank.

I was wondering whether or not LiveFish go and collect fresh stock to add, the inbreeding, if its happening could lead to the expression of different alleles?

Cheers Solomon. Mine were blue in the bag from Livefish. I like the random recessive gene expression theory. I was thinking if it was easy or predictable to do then they'd be breeding them seperately as I'm sure they could get double the price for the coloured ones. Might have to email Daniel and ask.
    Or maybe I should just keep quiet about it. I'd hate to be known as the guy that drove up prices.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast