Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Harvesting vinegar eels

Hey All
    I have just obtained my own vinegar eels culture from a friend here in SA and she uses VE for her Betta fry. Anyway she told me the best place to go for vinegar is Coles or Woolies. Get Cornwalls Apple Cider Vinegar with no preservatives. only cost me $2.50 a litre. I have had my culture going for about 4 days now and there is already heaps of VE in there. I also have 6 lots of Micro worms on the go but if the VE prove to be better i will stop using micro and stick with VE
    Rob

The easiest way I have found to harvest vinegar eels is to use 100 micron mesh. The finest weave material at spotlight will also go pretty close and is much cheaper. I sandwich the material between some 100mm pipe to create a sieve. This is also useful for artemia.

To harvest you simply pour the culture through the sieve. You can rinse the vinegar off if you want to but I just dip the sieve into the fry tanks. Make sure you return the filtered vinegar solution back to the culture as all the eggs and tiny nematodes that pass through can be collected next harvest when they are bigger.

Quote Originally Posted by serenitynow View Post
    I sadly bumped off a great deal of sterbai corydora wrigglers when using a coffee filter for v. eels.
    I had pulled out my diy frysaver out of big tank to lower the water level so the fry could get the worms easier.
    Didn't factor in how much vinegar would be absorbed by the filter and when I rinsed the filter out into the frysaver, they went nutso.

At first I thought that they were in raptures over the eels.
    In reality, they were actually dying.. must have been like an acid bath.
    Cried buckets. Poor little fry.

Did a search found a great method somewhere on google.
    Use a round plastic container, with a round file (forget the actual term for this), gently file vertical channels around interior of container.
    Eels congregate in these channels, en masse.
    Use an eyedropper/pipette to suck them up.
    As they are so clogged in channels, very minimal vinegar was pulled in - I still rinsed them though.

Was then advised that v.eels are not so great for cories anyway as the eels hang in upper levels of water column.

To cultivate, I split the culture, using 50/50 ratio of apple cidar vinegar and water and a tiny chunk of apple in bottom.

Within 10 days I had four cultures on the go - and they last ages.

Anyone have any good hints on harvesting grindal worms?'
    (Sorry for the hijack/coup, Graeme)
    I find microworms are better for baby coryadorables as the worms will sink to the bottom and live quite a while underwater. For first food I would use freshly hatched artemia though.

Another method is to poor some of the ve solution into a beaker or a test tube, anything with a long skinny spout, fill to about 1/3 up the spout and put some filter wool in the spout then carefully add some clean tank water in the top it should sit above the wool on top of the vinegar.

After 20-30 mins heaps of the ve will be in the top section in the clean water as they head towards the oxygenated water.

You can simply tip out or siphon off the freshwater full of ve at that point and feed.

Ve are smaller than microworms so great for tiny tiny fry, I find microworms a suitable replacement for bbs for most fry. And alot easier to deal with.

Juls

Edit: didnt read first page first lol. oh well.
    Last edited by Juls; 11-06-11 at 11:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic99 View Post
    The easiest way I have found to harvest vinegar eels is to use 100 micron mesh. The finest weave material at spotlight will also go pretty close and is much cheaper.
    What kind of material from spotlight? Calico, Satin, curtain material?

Just get something that is waterproof. Silk would work but if the weave is too fine the solution won't drain through quickly.
    I found a very fine white mesh. It was under $10/meter which compared to my scientific grade mesh at $125/m was a bargain so I got 2 meters.
    Some of those sieve photos I posted earlier are spotlight material.

I will be trying this method next time I had only ever used coffee fillter paper. Thanks for the info.

Hmm 100 micron didn't work well enough for me. I've gone down to 40 micron sieves and still looks like most VEs go through the sieve. I get enough but could be better. Probably don't grow and harvest on the same scale as above though.

I've tried them all....prefer Graeme's method myself
    Very clean and efficient
    Vinegar eels are great first food for surface feeders....bettas /rainbows

Quote Originally Posted by unissuh View Post
    Hmm 100 micron didn't work well enough for me. I've gone down to 40 micron sieves and still looks like most VEs go through the sieve. I get enough but could be better. Probably don't grow and harvest on the same scale as above though.
    You don't want to harvest them all totally. Is this what your trying to do? It's vitally important the smaller-undersize-baby ones do get through to continue the life cycle. Be sure to return the filtered waste back to the culture as it should be full of eggs/babies/immature worms. You only want the larger adult worms which are still quite tiny.

I culture on a large scale so the speed and efficiency of harvest becomes more important to me. I run 14 x 2 liter bottle cultures staggered and harvest in turn every 2 weeks.

Winston

lol ya know yer pro when you have live food seives
    reminds me of sorting wild collected plankton, brine and rotifers lol

If you would like to at least triple your skill with live food (not including you winston!)
    I reccomend chasing down a book called
    "culturing live foods" by Hellweg
    Not for everyone
    but I found it a great read!
    "AQUIS have proven on numerous occasion to have a distinct lack of humour." ~ saundo

I have that book! LOL.
    It's just as much fun growing and breeding the food for your fish. Having to plan population peaks to co-incide with first feds etc . A failure in food can mean loss of your entire spawn so it makes sense to duplicate your food production. Some baby fish just too small for Artemia.

I harvest one 'VE culture each day and give them recovery time by having numbered cultures.
    I also grow algae on hardwood sticks oudoors. Have dried microwworm stored as their eggs keep for decades

Quote Originally Posted by aquaholic99 View Post
    You don't want to harvest them all totally. Is this what your trying to do? It's vitally important the smaller-undersize-baby ones do get through to continue the life cycle. Be sure to return the filtered waste back to the culture as it should be full of eggs/babies/immature worms. You only want the larger adult worms which are still quite tiny.
    Of course I don't filter the whole lot, give me some credit. Usually only do about 50 ml a day of my 1.5 L culture and only for 2-3 days in a row until the fry can take microworm. I *do* like to get some of the smaller worms when I harvest the culture for tiny fry though, notice some have issues with taking full size VE.

Ahhh well I most definitely do filter the whole culture in one hit. The old worms just die off otherwise. We just have different methods and all ideas will work. If your only taking 50-100.ml then pour through a funnel of loose cotton ball. Then throw the cotton ball into tank for fish to choose best sizes.
    Last edited by aquaholic99; 10-09-12 at 07:15 PM.

For the VE culturers: Any chance that some of the eels could already be in a tank, so that buying a culture is not needed?

Research Studies:
    http://reefbase.org/resource_center/publication/main.aspx

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12