Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips for when asking advice

Quote Originally Posted by shake View Post
    Pilchard, I have not laughed so hard for a long time. Thanks for for that mate.
    +1 ROFL That was hilarious!

Quote Originally Posted by Kara View Post
    +1 ROFL That was hilarious!
    I dont laugh out loud at the computer much but i did after reading pilchards post

thank you very much.

Maybe a admin or senior posters can reply with "Please add extra inforamtion or post will be deleted"
    i'm on after work and thinking of placing good posts with right inforamation is hard sometimes! (ie up 14 hours working and 2 hours feeding everything at home and home life leaves a short time to read posts that dont make sense like some of mine also )
    I think a sticky's to follow on Sales/Water issues are musts.
    Areas like sickness can be hard for newbies keeping anything some posts above have been to harsh.
    Not everyone has money to have a lab supply of testing supply's is worth thinking about instead of kicking people while there down.( better to repost you need 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9, tests kits to have better understanding of your issue and to point them to a possible solution or available at sponsors at bottom of forum )

Not everyone has years of keeping some people are at a loss of any problem so better to help than none reply or sometimes rude reply's or being smart.

If someone can't be bothered supplying useful information to help solve their problem why should other members be bothered helping them out? It is really irritating when you ask for some information so you can help the OP and they simply ignore you and any advice that has already been given.

There aren't many test kits that are absolutely necessary but their are a few. People should be willing to have these kits on hand.
    Whatever

But i was saying alot of newbies get a tank than fish and have no idea what to do.
    Next thing they join a forum or two and have paniced into posting quickly to solve problems that should have been told by sales staff at point of sale.
    Your lucky to get any sound advise from any shop these days which is pretty dame hopeless for a newbie starting out.
    This morning i was at a shop dropping off some fish a new tank went out the door with fish, no test kits no chemicals etc.( this is a well known shop all seem to not care maybe chasing dollars )
    I bet mr and mrs smith will be on a forum like this one- posting something like why are my fishing dieing they were fine in shop??
    Kids crying because there swords and patties are floating around by Monday morning!
    I bet half the people here wont even responed to this, but they had no advise to start with and have no idea they need to cycle tank before anything else.
    So i think maybe a sticky response by a senior poster/or a admin is a good start.
    The search function on most forums are a waste of time once it has more than 12 posting on anything.( i dont know how it works but typing in a search, it should come up with the response with most help,filter to top most helpful response first -filtering- like a sticky that way it would be helpful ) If that was able to be done on all forums alot of newbie posts would be answered.

You need to look from both a newbies point of view not just a senior keeper.
    Thats why shops should have a code of ethics to be responsable in there sales of any livestock like it once was.

Another thing that could be useful, is a pop up box when clicking on Post, posting new subject button, it could pop up and state "before posting please read stickys " that way before posting so maybe that would stop some post(s) that could be answered that way.
    Another way that can stop some repeat posts is a word caption software that may direct you to posts with same heading,does the forum software have it?
    Alot of the above questions can only be answered by admins or software writers.( i dont have a idea, i know my wife's work has forum, on there web site, and has so much weakness in software, it may be time to find a newwer software package )
    Admins will need to talk, possibly software company they are using to answer the above questions.

Hi
    Sorry for the noob question, is there a way to search within only a sub-group. For instance if I'm in Substrate and look up laterite I get matches from all over the place. Can I search just within the sub-group? It would be also usefull to be able to search for posts with the word in the heading only. Can't seem to see a way even in advanced search. Am I missing somethin?
    Oh and @ pilchard, that was funny.
    Take care
    Gum

Advanced search -> Single content type -> Aditional options (Just below the search box) -> Search in forum(s) (Select the area in the drop down box. It's much simpler than these steps would lead you to believe.

Or just go to the section you want to search in and click on search forum which is on the top of the page, right side, under the page numbers.

Hi,
    Thanks. Nothing is foolproof to the sufficiently talented fool
    Gum

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12