Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bunnings Ponds

Default Bunnings Ponds

I've noticed all the Bunnings in my area have a raised pond made from treated pine sleepers in the Garden section. I reckon these look pretty good and are practical being off the ground, keeps out toads, dogs and kids.

Has anyone every built a pond like this? I'm wondering if it is as easy as it looks. The ones I have seen at Bunnings seems to use a think, rigid type plastic liner. I can't see why you couldn't just use pond liner.

I wonder if Bunnings have plans for these ponds, seeing they have them set up and most likely stock all the gear to build them.

If anyone has any info on them or has built something similar please let me know!

Thanks,

Conway

i think it would be a fairly simple DIY project. (probably a bit of hard physical labour though, lugging sleepers around and levelling out a spot in the garden etc )

a good quality liner possibly with some underlay should do the trick. as long as theres no sharp splintery bits on the wood to pierce the liner!

have a look on the web, theres quite a few DIY guides.

don't think i've seen that sort of pond on this forum though, perhaps you can be the guinea pig

I would personally go with railway sleepers they look a bit nicer than the pine ones, but thats just me

good luck with it.
    Last edited by MJay; 24-10-09 at 09:32 PM.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Hello Conway, I've seen these at Bunnings and been thinking also of creating some upright Ponds for adding Silver Perch. The Sleepers can be Bolted together on the ends and an Upright peice in the Centre of the long sides to prevent bowing out of the sides. If you want we can help each other and build them one weekend.

Brisbane Kennel Builder
    www.buildmykennel.com

Umm Ken.. where are you planning on putting them? I saw the google map of your place... I reckon the only space you got left was marked 'wife area' or are you sacrificing the clothes line space? hehe.. or going double decker on the chook house

Natalie
    3 1/2' Jebo R3100 community tropical (Goby ruled )
    misc other small tanks
    ANGFA National secretary & VIC secretary
    "insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids"

LOL, Wife Area Can't be modified. Area where I have shown in Blue and where I'm adding the extra Aquaponic Channels is where I want to add a couple of Thousand Litres of Water that will return back to the main Pond.

Brisbane Kennel Builder
    www.buildmykennel.com

haha, sounds good Ken.

I've noticed some have Besser Blocks as the 'legs', others have bricks I think. I don't think these look the best. Although if you used Besser Blocks you could paint them or something I guess.

I wonder if you could just use Sleepers as uprights? Concrete them in and lay sleepers across them as a base. I might go down to bunnings and ask if they have plans to make them, and take a few photos on the phone camera!

I'll have to go have another look but I expect the Bricks are used just to keep the timber off the ground for when they hose the area.

Brisbane Kennel Builder
    www.buildmykennel.com

Hmm
    I am actually thinking of doing something like this as well.
    I have got an old sandpit with sleeper borders that I will use as a basis.
    As soon as the rains die down and things dry up a little, i'll continue clearing it all out.
    But yes it's a better idea only digging to lay the foundations and then building upwards for about 60-80cm.

i did a lot of research on this a while back. still gunning to do this and great to hear bunnings has a kit!

regarding the bowing, if you :
    keep the pond under 650mm depth,
    lay the sleepers flat - as they were on the track, not on their side,
    lay down 1 side at a time (duh) but going around in a circle, - bottom, left, top, right(dont lay down opposite sides like they used to build log cabins as you will have gaps) so that the ends overlap,
    bolt the corners down with 2 diagonal bolts,
    keep the length of the pond to the length of the sleeper,

and it wont bow.
    so idealy without the side braces you can only go as big as the sleeper size in a square. beyond this and you will need the side bracing poles concreted in.

i keep telling myself, 'maybe this summer hey?' but been saying that for years now so we'll see

good luck.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

PS: the other great advantage of this pond is that you can drain it, and just move it to a different location!

put that in ya peace pipe and smoke it! (for all the small in-ground ponds out there)
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors,
    We borrow it from our Children.

That is a good idea! Do you know much about this kit? I assume it has everything you need and instructions? Do you remember how much?

I think the main benefits are being well of the ground, I often get sore back and neck from bending to work on my Bunnings tubs. Also in the northern areas Cane Toads are a major problem. I often forget most people in Vic and NSW don't have them, but here if you have an open pond on the ground or not very high, it's toad heaven here!

There is also the safety factor, I often worry one of my little dogs will jump in my Bunnings tubs and not be able to get out. Also little kids may be tempted to jump in for a dip.

Just got back from Bunnings Oxley. There seems to be some confusion over the kits. I had to ask 3 people who all had different stories! One guy insisted they did stock them, the other lady said they used too, but no longer do. The 3rd just gave me the 'try in isle 3'.

I guess you don't go to Bunnings for the service!

Anyway, I got some photos. They look pretty basic. The just have the thick sleepers laid on Besser Blocks. Then the frame, made from thinner sleepers sits on the base. The lady said they don't sell the rigid plastic, but most people just use pond liner.

The guy who insisted they did have kits said to try the Rocklea store, as that's where he usually works. He reckons they have them.

I'll try and get the photos up....

Aquagreens ponds are basically like this except Dave uses a welded frame...Im pretty sure its then lined with pond liner....works a treat

Mike
    Im just a little bit crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Noddy65 View Post
    Aquagreens ponds are basically like this except Dave uses a welded frame...Im pretty sure its then lined with pond liner....works a treat
    an aquagreen pond being built...

He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

I've used sleepers for a raised pond before, 6x3x2. Kept my Jardini in it. Put it together with baton screws. Make sure you use some type of underlay, I also used regular soft pond liner, stapled around the lip. Throw a few more sleepers around the top as capping. Worked a treat and so easy to disassemble when it neede to be moved. Not sure if I have pics of it, will have a look for you.
    Cheers,
    Matt

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast