Thread: Admin Announcement

Default Admin Announcement

Over the months, Aquariumlife has been running competitions where members have been given the opportunity to vote on best photo of their fish, tanks, plants etc.

This has given members the opportunity to win cash prizes that have been donated by sponsors or the owner of this site.
    Until now, this has worked well and no doubts have arisen about the validity of votes for the winning entry.

During an audit of the May 07 Competition, Administrators and Moderators noticed a high level of new member registrations where many of the new members seemed to go straight ahead and vote for entries in the competition.
    This has cast some doubts on the validity of the poll results.

It is a shame that this has happened because it has only served to cast doubts on the validity of many of the excellent entries in the competition.
    Many entrants went to great length to enter their best photo and put a lot of efforts into taking preparing their subject for the competitin.

Because of this, Administrators and Moderators of Aquariumlife have decided to declare the entire results of the competition invalid and make the following changes for future ones:

1. Only "active" members of Aquariumlife will be elligible to vote in competitions. This will be done by applying a restriction where only members with a post count of 25 or above will be able to vote.

2. Prior to declaring a winner, a panel of Moderators and Administrators will review the results and reserve the right to disqualify any entry where there are signs that the rules have been "bent"

3. Even though everyone will be allowed to participate, cash prizes will only be given to Premium Members. Non-premium members will be given 1 year Premium subscription instead of a cash prize.

Aquariumlife Administrators

I think the old competition system was alot better. Why not just go back to that and make it a $50 price for non-premiums and $100 for premiums or something....

It's sad that something like that would happen on a nice little site like this I admit I'm disappointed, because I don't have the money to spend on a membership to a forum, and for the same reason would love to win a cash prize - I can never afford to buy new things for my tank. However, I do understand why you need to do this. A question; if a non-premium member wins a competition, and gets a premium membership, if they win again, do they get a cash prize?

Quote Originally Posted by zenkatydid View Post
    A question; if a non-premium member wins a competition, and gets a premium membership, if they win again, do they get a cash prize?
    I'll let Admin answer that, but couldn't see why not. You are winning as a Premium Member.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So sad this had to happen... Always some fool has to abuse the system and wreck it for everyone else...

1 & 2 seem fair. Good idea, actually.

Number 3 seems a bit harsh... more like punishing the non premium members rather than insuring fairness in the competition. Less incentive for entries will probably equal less entries will equal a less interesting competition.

Yeh I thought this might happen people making false accounts to vote for them. Good way to stop i think it should be 50+ post!!

cheers eddie

Don't you have the IP of new members signing up with these forums?? We used to get this a lot at the photographic sites, eay to spot most of the time though...

A question; if a non-premium member wins a competition, and gets a premium membership, if they win again, do they get a cash prize?
    Yes they will.

Don't you have the IP of new members signing up with these forums?? We used to get this a lot at the photographic sites, eay to spot most of the time though...
    Yes, the board (and most professional forum software) keeps a register of the IP addresses used by a given user at a given time. It also maintains various time stamped activity logs of all activity on the board.

In regards of rule 3:
    On the contrary, we feel it is quite fair. People who have committed to supporting the board and its significant operating cost should have something available to them that is not available to the general membership.

Saying that, we highly value the general membership and many of our best members are not premium members. For example. most of the entries (and winning entries in the past) have been from non-premium members.

In a recent poll where we gauged the mood of the membership for some changes, the resounding message appeared to be that the competitions were not so much about cash prizes but more about the kudos of having participated and possibly won. Following that, we are working towards a system (either a web page or a part of this board) where winning photos and their details will be available for people to view and comment.
    That way, the exposure for a genuine winner will be even greater.

Because we want to encourage full participation of everyone, we decided to give membership to any winning member, therefore giving them the opportunity to win cash prizes at a later stage as well as get the exposure for their winning entries.

Sounds great Ari! thanks to you and the other mods for all their hardwork.

It all sounds fair to me, premium membership sounds like a decen prize to me Shame something like this happened, or you have reason to suspect it. I'm a member of different art sites, and the same thing happens with people using multiple accounts to make them seem more "popular"
    Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

Sounds fair to me given the circumstances

It's inevitable for corrupt behaviour to appear I guess.

I haven't entered a comp so my comments might not be a valid as those who have. If only I had a decent camera.....and a decent tank.....

Cash prizes only being awarded to premium members does form a rich get richer situation IMO, but considering the circumstances, what else can you do ?

Apallson has raised a valid point, in that, competitions are not only for winning prizes, but also for the joy of having participated in extra things provided for your hobby.

Just to inject a different flavour into this discussion....

Please dont discount the other possiblity - namely that Aquarium Life is undergoing a growth spurt with new users who may not yet be confident enough, or who may not yet want to join the main forum conversation... yet they are happy to cast a vote.

I dont personally know all the entrants in Mays comp but if the way most of them contribute to this forum is any indication I sincerely doubt they tried to rig the result of the vote in order to win - the prize and prestige just isnt that good!

Just don't discount the possiblity that the comp was a good way of encouraging new users to register!

sing with me... Always look on the bright side of life . {{whistle}}

I think the bonus for paid members is a good thing. No offence to anybody, but $25 a year works out to 50 cents week, and although I haven't been here long I think you get more value than that from the site and the operators have costs to cover. Don't most kids get more than 25 bucks a week as pocket money nowdays?