Thread: Guillotine style Bristlenose trap

Default Guillotine style Bristlenose trap

Equipment required

1 Drink bottle (for larger catfish you could use pvc piping with an end cap)

1 piece of glass

Tools required

Dremel

and a pair of sharp scisscors (steal your mums/wifes/partners good pair!... they'll never know)

Method:

drill a small hole in the glass using the dremel. best to drill slowly and have water running slowly over where your drilling. tie a piece of string or fishing line through the hole.

Cut a slot in the drink bottle for the glass to fit in so it 'drops' easily (just like a guillotine!)

place the bottle in the tank, put some cucumber in the drink bottle (make sure you have a weight on the cucumber )

wait for the bristlenoses to go into the trap (i caught 3 in one go and it only took them a few mins to find the trap) then drop the glass and carefully (so you don't release the fish) lift the bottle out of the tank. Done! and your tank isn't torn to pieces trying to catch the mongrels.

you may may want to tie the string to something if you don't want to hold it, you will need to make sure that the glass still drops straight down though. i left the trap next to the glass so the piece of glass could rest next to it and i tied the string to a juice bottle so that the glass was held just slightly inside the slot.

i hope all that made sense...

Last edited by MJay; 18-07-09 at 05:07 AM.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

thanks man, I needed to catch my tow breeding BN's out of a heavily planted and caved tank. this will make life so much easier as the other traps I've used haven't been successful
    - 2ft Square Cherry Shrimp Tank
    - 4ft Planted Angel Tank

I just cut the neck end off a soft drink bottle and sew it back on inverted using elastic. Works really well for BNs and SAEs if you put an algae wafer in there. The elastic means you can pull it apart enough to slide the fish out in their new home.

and a pair of sharp scisscors (steal your mums/wifes/partners good pair!... they'll never know)

OYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We do know!!!
    As a sewer.. I can ALWAYS tell if someone has used my FABRIC scissors on something other than fabric.. it leaves rough edges that mean next time I cut some thin fabric I get little pulls on the threads... Last time my other half pulled that trick , I made him replace the $52 worth of fabric it ruined.

Spend the $7 bucks and get your own pair from the supermarket

Natalie who is on her high horse
    3 1/2' Jebo R3100 community tropical (Goby ruled )
    misc other small tanks
    ANGFA National secretary & VIC secretary
    "insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids"

Talking

why my scissors are sticky and green - i'll never know!!

Talking

LOL natalie

Quote Originally Posted by ladykahu View Post
    OYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We do know!!!
    unfortunatly women do know. my mum hides the good pair of kitchen scissors these days, i don't know why...
    Last edited by MJay; 28-07-09 at 01:33 PM.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    unfortunatly women do know. my mum hides the good pair of kitchen scissors these days, i don't know why...
    I've done the reverse and have hidden the good scissors from my wife

I'm waiting for her to buy some new ones and then I'll swap them over and keep the new ones.

It would probably be much easier to go and buy my own but nowhere near as much fun watching my wife search for hers!!

Andrew

Oh, and when I lived at home my Mum kept her good scissors (and other handy bits) in a locked sewing cabinet so my brothers and I couldn't get them.

hah, ladykahu I totally understand, although I do have my boyf sufficiently well trained now that he is too afraid to go anywhere near my good sewing scissors. Once I caught him cutting paper with them - I'm a scissors fiend and we have around 20 pairs in the house, and still he found the one pair I didn't want him using.