Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Flowering Crypts / cryptocoryne inflorescence

The first beaker culture flower: C. cordata var. siamensis 'Rosanervig'. The mix this plant is kept in is a peat and dolomite mix with a tab fertiliser. The soil smells pretty horrible but the plant seems to love the conditions and has already sent out a few runners. Leaves are not showing variegation anymore but are massive, about the size of the leaves on a mature submersed plant.

A few days later, showing the size of the plant and melted flower.

Plus...

An update on the C. cordata var. siamensis "Rosanervig" seeds which seems to be growing quickly. One has died (the one which germinated first and was planted with a section of the fruit it was attached to) but all others look to be fine. None are showing variegation but maybe with cooler weather and larger leaves this will begin to show?

And...

It's not a crypt it's pretty close - Lagenandra meeboldii "Red". As I know the first L. meeboldii flower in Aus? Seems to be a pretty easy grower once the right conditions are found, although it can be pretty hit and miss otherwise.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 10-05-18 at 04:32 PM.
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

Forgot to post this one before. This is the new one Grubs and I have recently got our hands on, Cryptocoryne cordata var. siamensis "evae". This was a submersed flower like you see in "Blassii", just grown in red dirt with a cap of gravel. The limb seemed to have some sort of developmental issue so is not a great specimen, although you can see that there does not appear to be much difference between it and "Blassii" which also has a plain yellow limb (unlike "Rosanervig" for example, which has some red also). A few more flowers and a proper dissection should be able to tell us some more...

C. cordata var. siamensis "evae" submersed, 20/04/18.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 03-05-18 at 08:21 PM.

Cryptocoryne striolata (unknown locality) originally from a forum member on 06/11/17. Flowering today (17/06/18).
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 12-08-18 at 06:28 AM.

A double spathe of Cryptocoryne usteriana from a long-time Cryptocoryne grower in North Queensland. This plant is descended from an import into Aus in the 70s. Most plants that were here in collections prior to a few years ago when Dennerle TC cups started to be brought in are probably descended from the plants of this initial import and will be the same as this plant photographed here.

And yes, the inside of the limb is out of focus - something to correct next time. Photographing these little flowers is a lot more difficult than it may seem!
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 15-07-18 at 07:45 PM.

Default C. cordata var. siamensis "evae" emersed jar culture

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptocorynus View Post
    C. cordata var. siamensis "evae" submersed, 20/04/18.
    Mine has a little more red-brown on the outer edge of the limb. Spathe is not quite open fully.

Stunning, Grubs! When comparing it to "Blassii" it would appear a little different. Every "Blassii" flower I've had has been completely yellow. Not even when it was grown in a red soil which would have been brimming with iron did it show any red. Looks like the flower as a whole is a little more orange than "Blassii" too. Super healthy plant, I'm very jealous!

Maybe we're just seeing differences between emersed and submersed flowers? Or maybe mine opened earlier than it would have otherwise due to the damage?

A triple spathe on C. albida "Korthausae" today. It's amazing how different plants can sync up their flowering.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 31-07-18 at 08:02 PM.

C. albida "Costata" is flowering now and the differences between it and "Korthausae" are clear. C. albida "Costata" has beautiful red petioles when in the same conditions as C. albida "Korthausae". The edges of the limb of the spathe are also a much lighter colour.

This is Aquagreen "C. balansae" and is a more tricky one. It seems to be about half way between Cryptocoryne crispatula var. crispatula and var. balansae going off the limb and (immature?) kettle. Haven't decided on this one yet...
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 12-08-18 at 09:07 AM.

Very nice crypto. Those plants are looking really lush and its a great comparison between "Korthausae" and "Costata". My Korthausae (Aquagreen) has only flowered once and I missed it completely. Is that Costata the Dennerle variety?

Really nice light quality and colours. My suggestion is for you to use the hyperfocal distance, increase the F stop further 13 or more and use a tripod so that depth of field is increased for the next set of shots.

Thanks, Grubs! The "Costata" I am assuming is the Aquagreen form, I don't think it's an imported one. I got it from Damien a fair while back. I compared it to yours and the flower seems a little different. It didn't seem like yours had much of a limb at all. But considering the difference in your emersed plant and mine, I'd say the conditions may be a factor - this "Costata" was bright red and marmorated inside under artificial light earlier on so maybe the flower is also dependent somewhat on humidity or light? And thanks Rebel, will be sure to try this on the next couple of shots. I think a while back BrianS was using a stacking programme to achieve a better depth of field, have you got any experience using anything similar?
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 13-08-18 at 06:32 PM.

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718