Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Flowering Crypts / cryptocoryne inflorescence

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    I think the spathe looks a lot more like a cordata than xpurpurea just from the pictures I've seen... but the leaves throw me.
    I'm the same. The spathe the seems to hint it's some type of cordata but the growth rate and size it stays seems to say otherwise? In a few months I think I had about five submersed runners from the main plant which is a lot more in the same amount of time than the other types of cordata I have. Also seems like it's not C. cordata var. grabowskii like I thought may have been the case due to the lack of red spotting in the throat and kettle (although this isn't completely diagnostic). I'm leaning towards either var. cordata or var. siamensis... which would mean Dennerle didn't actually collect it from Borneo... Hopefully the next flower may be more conclusive...
    Rainbowfish, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus

While searching Google Images for "cryptocoryne aponogetifolia emersed" look at the gem I came across... C. cordata var. zonata (C. cordata var. grabowskii?).
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 15-05-17 at 10:23 AM.

One of the rarest crypts in Aus and a very reluctant species to flower, C. crispatula var. kubotae (03/07/17). One pot contained three spathes and another unphotographed pot contained five spathes! Apologies for the unfocused tip of the inflorescence, I'll try to get some better photos shortly.

Both pots of flowers on 06/07/17

Same inflorescence? on 06/07/17

Dissecting the above inflorescence...
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 07-10-17 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Note to self: The dissected inflorescence came from my first purchase of C. crispatula var. kubotae from LCA, not my second.

C. walkeri 'Legroi' on 01/09/17. The whole inflorescence was less than 3cm in height! I tried to dissect the flower but my phone couldn't manage a clear photo as everything inside the kettle was so small! When it flowers again I'll hopefully be better prepared and able to get a diagnostic photo. It definitely doesn't look very walkeri-ish to me from this flower and probably points to another Sri Lankan species (C. wendtii?). It looks very similar to the supposed C. beckettii from Aquagreen which I think BrianS found to be a C. wendtii.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 17-10-17 at 06:59 AM.

Crypt undulata "green" spathe looks very wendtii to me... but it isn't fully opened yet so we'll see.

Crypt balansae - I have a few different varieties of blanasae but this one is a generic one of uncertain origin
    Last edited by Grubs; 04-10-17 at 01:27 PM.

Default Crypt albida 'costata' comparison

Two different Cryptocoryne albida 'costata'. The top picture (I've posted before) is a spathe on a plant that I got from a Melbourne grower that has had the plant for more than 10 years. He knew it as Cryptocoryne costata but this species is now believed to be a variety of Cryptocoryne albida. The bottom picture is a european variety distributed by Dennerle under the synonym Cryptocoryne costata that is flowering today. It has a much narrower and taller "trumpet" with more twist at the top. Maintaining distinct varieties and labelling plants properly allows us anal retentive types to preserve the variety. I think I have 5 different crypt albida now... but one has never flowered so I still dont really know what it is!

Last edited by Grubs; 04-10-17 at 01:07 PM.

Good labels are difficult. I am still finding crypts under the jungle in my mist house. The labels are mostly gone. I will have to grow them on and see if anyone can remember what they were grown as, still difficult to know if it was correct when received.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Grubs View Post
    Two different Cryptocoryne albida 'costata'. The top picture (I've posted before) is a spathe on a plant that I got from a Melbourne grower that has had the plant for more than 10 years. He knew it as Cryptocoryne costata but this species is now believed to be a variety of Cryptocoryne albida. The bottom picture is a european variety distributed by Dennerle under the synonym Cryptocoryne costata that is flowering today. It has a much narrower and taller "trumpet" with more twist at the top. Maintaining distinct varieties and labelling plants properly allows us anal retentive types to preserve the variety. I think I have 5 different crypt albida now... but one has never flowered so I still dont really know what it is!

Stunning plants, Grubs! I agree that that undulata looks more like a wendtii, but with these Sri Lankan species there can be so much variation! The balansae looks incredible - crispatulas are without a doubt one of my favourite species - the long limb in crispatula vars is so distinct and beautiful.

Dave, I know what you mean about incorrect and unreliabe IDs. Dad and I are now getting to the point of changing around identifications when looking through flowers... the most recent was only a few days ago when we found a plant sold to us as C. x willisii 'Lucens' was actually a form of C. beckettii!

C. beckettii (previously C. x willisii 'Lucens')
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 06-10-17 at 03:05 PM.

Grubs
    Inflorescence is interesting for the green leaf form of C. albida. I compared my flowers to yours. http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showt...ers?highlight= Red leaf form is C. albida costata, green leaf form C. albida korthausae
    Last edited by corlis; 15-10-17 at 08:06 AM. Reason: spelling of taxonomic name
    8x2x3, 8x2x2.5 6x2x2 5x2x2, Echinodorus, Eriocaulons. Native aquatic plant species.

The first plant to flower was a non-line plant (flowered 17/10/17)...

The "C. amicorum" from Aquafleur that is floating around is without a doubt something other than C. amicorum or C. minima as the inflorescence couldn't be more different! Looks like C. x willisii to me.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 06-11-17 at 04:53 AM.

Just a follow up on my Crypt albida "costata" spathes ^^ that I posted previously comparing the two varieties - here is one of the Denerle variety that opened a bit further. Still skinny with a twist compared to the other 'costata' variety I have... and much less red on the leaves.

C. x willisii 'nevillii' (Aquagreen)
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; 14-11-17 at 02:09 PM.

C. cordata var. siamensis 'Rosanervig' fruit. This is the same plant that flowered earlier in the thread and seems to have self-pollinated somehow. Time will tell if the seeds survive or not.
    Last edited by Cryptocorynus; Today at 07:07 AM.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617