Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Flowering Crypts / cryptocoryne inflorescence

Default Flowering Crypts / cryptocoryne inflorescence

This crypt is labelled as C.crispatula.

Cheers
    Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice photo, impressive inflorescence!

Have you got C. crispatula var. balanse growing emersed? there's a photo of it doing that in the Kasselmann book.

Nice. Well done.
    Regards
    Bryan

Nice one Dave! Thanks for the share
    Cheers,

Rufus

"I completely lost it. Well, okay, that sounded more awesome than what I really did, which was yell. And by yelling I mean sending a bunch of TEXT MESSAGES ALL IN CAPS!"

Nice flower Dave.
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

I didn't know this part of the forum existed, I've got some crypt flower pics to share.

The 3 I've had before today can be found here;
    http://aquariumlife.com.au/showpost....4&postcount=26
    http://aquariumlife.com.au/showpost....6&postcount=41
    http://aquariumlife.com.au/showpost....9&postcount=57
    I won't double up on those and repeat them here.

Well this morning I went out to my 60L bunnings tubs I have outside to give them a top up. I noticed during the week that the warmer weather was making the water levels drop fast. The rim of the pot was just out of the water, the substrate under. I was so surprised to find a crypt in flower. I originally put 2 pots of crypts outside just to see if they would survive the Gladstone winter. This particular crypt is the very first one I bought from a LFS, it was labelled "Crypt in pot". I think it's C. Wendtii Tropica, anyway here are the pictures.

In this picture, although it is very hard to see, one of the other crypts in this same pot is starting a flower too.

The spathe was only half out of the substrate, about 2cm down I found the kettle;

I broke the spathe off trying to remove it, leaving the sexual organs of the flower behind.

The removed spathe, in pieces;

The cut up spathe pics;

Just as a reference to highlight the chameleon like nature of this family of plants here are some links to other pictures I've posted previously of this same plant.
    Picture number 6 growing in my indoor emersed setup where it is much more cared for; http://aquariumlife.com.au/showpost....6&postcount=29
    Far Right hand side in pictures 1 & 3; http://aquariumlife.com.au/showpost....9&postcount=12 It's actually reached the surface of that tank now making it just over 40cm tall.

Now hopefully I can find out which Crypt species it is and if I had guessed correctly....

you must have surgeon like hands to be able to slice and dice a small delicate flower like that!

nice work with the crypts your doing Brian
    He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!

Quote Originally Posted by MJay View Post
    you must have surgeon like hands to be able to slice and dice a small delicate flower like that!

nice work with the crypts your doing Brian
    Cheers Mjay. I've always had a fairly shaky hand actually. Dissecting the flowers and taking the macro photo's is the part I always dread. I always think I'm going to stuff it up. My neighbours probably thought I had a bad accident when I broke this spathe, wasn't happy. Of all the crypts I have, this is the one I've wanted to flower most. Really want my healthy indoor one to flower ....

Hi Brian,

Fascinating stuff! Nice surgical work as MJay said.

Where do you go now with your photos for ID's?

so many flowers!
    Take care
    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Quote Originally Posted by nchanted View Post
    Hi Brian,

Fascinating stuff! Nice surgical work as MJay said.

Where do you go now with your photos for ID's?

so many flowers!
    Thanks Nchanted. For ID's my first point of call is always this site; http://www.xs4all.nl/~crypts/Cryptocoryne/index.html I also post pictures on another forum here; http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...cryptocorynes/ as they seem to have a lot of people into flowering crypts as well as a lot of reference material to check through in the old posts. I also bought this book from this thread; http://aquariumlife.com.au/showthrea...ght=Kasselmann that is quite useful. After I've given myself an education from those sources, I may email the guy who runs the Crypt pages web site (first link) if I think it's worth bothering him. If anyone knows of some other good crypt books I'd love to know about them. I have a few but the Kasselmann one is a favourite.

As for getting a concrete ID on just which wendtii this is, it does look unlikely at this stage that I will find out. As varied as that group of crypts are, there seems to be just as much variation in the flowers as well. I've determined that this spathe is unusual because it's twisting the wrong way. Hopefully the other one pops up as well. If I can get one from my emersed tank to flower I may have enough info to get a sensible question together for the fellow from the Crypt pages.

I just noticed this plant has started to flower. I got this plant from fellow AL member Guppyshrink not long after setting up my emersed tank. Not sure what it is, I suspect it's Lutea or Walkeri. I got it out of the tank and snapped 2 quick shots, the spathe pic is out of focus. Sorry, I'm not going to disturb this plant again until I cut the spathe off. Hopefully then I can get some good shots. This species is pretty big whatever it is, it's growing to 55cm in my aquarium and is 30cm emersed. I have one in an outdoor tub which is also starting to flower much to my amazement but it's not as big as this one.

Whole Plant;

Out of focus spathe pic;

Brian, thats one beautiful looking plant.. congratulations on the flower!
    Take care
    Dawn

40cm shrimp cube

Hello

I'll get some photos over the weekend.

Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by holotype View Post
    Nice photo, impressive inflorescence!

Have you got C. crispatula var. balanse growing emersed? there's a photo of it doing that in the Kasselmann book.

This flower opened last night. I was wrong, it's not a Lutea or a Walkeri but a Wendtii, a really big Wendtii. It was the size of the plant that had me thinking it must have been something different. Anyway, here are some pics;

The whole plant, emersed grown, 30cm tall;

The spathe still on the plant;

The removed spathe;

The limb;

The limb cut in half;

Both sides of the kettle cut in half;

The kettle cut in half;

The leaf from a submersed grown plant, growing over 50cm long. The blade of the leaf is around 20cm;

Congratulations on getting your crypts to flower. I love the flowers - very unique.

Great photos too - thanks so much for sharing

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast