Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Buy,sell,swap Rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrimpy View Post
    I thing most members are just covering the cost of postage and not really profiting from the posting. I don't think enforcing a rule that you are only allow to charge the price for the express satchel / box is correct, because some people go to the extend to buy additional packaging material to post the items. For example, I received my shrimp which was well packed in a foam box. The foam box would have cost the seller additional cost.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with Shrimpy.

For example, with my shrimp I charge $15 for postage. This is because I use kordon breather bags and buy either a foam box from the lfs or a cardboard box from the post office to ensure 100% live arrival. The 3kg express post satchels at my post office cost $11.50, the Kordon breather bags cost me at least 50 cents each (not including postage fees I pay to get them sent from the US) and the box costs anywhere from $1.75 (cardboard from post office) to $3 (foam box from lfs: I always try to get foam as I believe them to be better but they're not always available). So all up postage usually cost me about $11.50+($1.75 or $3)+(2x$0.50) = $14.25 - $15.50. So keep in mind that not everyone is profiting from postage fees and there may be other fees involved.

Maybe we can get sellers to justify their postage costs in their Ad(s) to keep everyone happy?

Last edited by khemo; 23-08-09 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RULES
    Pricing and terms, including shipping method, should be clearly spelled out .TIP. Most items should fit in either a $7.70 or $10.90 Express Post Satchels. A slightly higher price for sending shrimps is acceptable
    I think your shrimp postage would be covered by the rule quotedd above khemo
    These rules are more aimed at persons charging a PREMIUM postage and sending BASIC postage

Graeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

I see

Thanks for clearing that up Graeme.

Quote Originally Posted by tpg_god View Post
    On a lighter note.

I sold two lots of shrimps last month, charged $11 for express post,

So all up sending two parcels cost me about $66, abused by GF, a dozen long stem roses from Roses Only + dinner out

grand total - $180 or so
    Dude I was expecting an american express ad.. blah $$, blah $$, blah priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by Aqualife View Post
    • To help ensure that only our dedicated members participate, a minimum of 25 posts are required before being allowed to post in the forum. This includes offering anything in response to 'want to buy' posts. Maneuvering around this rule by making short, meaningless posts (post padding) will result in removal of your posts on this forum.
    So can any user with less than 25 posts view the forum? I didn't think this used to be the case..
    I've had a couple of PMs about things I'm selling from people with 0 posts, wanting to pick the items up and leaving a mobile number to call them back. It's a little bit unnerving

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    leaving a mobile number to call them back. It's a little bit unnerving
    The way I see it is basically, if the person is very interested in the item(s) then he/she will call you. If I was the seller I wouldnt be calling someone that I have not dealt with before.

minimum of 25 posts are required before being allowed to post in the forum
    The key word is POST

Graeme
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

Quote Originally Posted by Graeme View Post
    The key word is POST

Graeme
    I don't think that's such a good idea. I've just had another user - 0 posts, just signed up, location same as mine, asking for my contact details. I'd be fine dealing with this if they had other posts and I could see they have a legit interest in buying, but for all I know it's someone trying to scam me.

There is no need to ask for contact info, I've sold plenty by communicating via PM alone.

I think from now on I'll make it clear that I'll only sell to users with more than X number of posts, or no pick-up for low post users.. something that provides me with a bit of seller protection.

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I don't think that's such a good idea. I've just had another user - 0 posts, just signed up, location same as mine, asking for my contact details. I'd be fine dealing with this if they had other posts and I could see they have a legit interest in buying, but for all I know it's someone trying to scam me.

There is no need to ask for contact info, I've sold plenty by communicating via PM alone.

I think from now on I'll make it clear that I'll only sell to users with more than X number of posts, or no pick-up for low post users.. something that provides me with a bit of seller protection.
    Delilah,

Just because they ask doesn't mean you give it to them. Reply via PM and explain what trading conditions you're happy with, if they don't like them move on.

It should be noted that just because someone has a lot of posts doesn't mean they're nice or trustworthy. Look at me!!

Always use caution when giving out your details and consider meeting them at a public location to exchanges goods/ money if you're not CERTAIN they are OK.

I'm a boofhead bloke so I don't think twice about giving people my address etc but my wife is not so happy when I do because I may not be home when someone comes and she gets nervous.

A little bit of caution should always be applied to any transaction.
    If it swims it's good, if it's Sahul it's better!

I used to let people pick up or drop off at my house but i dont any more. Ditto to the boofhead bloke thing Andrew. Id rather pick up or drop off at the other parties home but if i were a young lady for example i would probably think twice about that too.

I dont see any harm in communicating via the phone though. Just dont give out your address.
    Whatever

I guess its each to their own

The mods have discussed this alot over the 3 years we have been on here.We get asked all the time by zero posters for stuff ( especially when its free ). I just ignore the requests now.

Often for pickups, I know I wont be home. I leave it at front door.My wife doesnt have to open the door to strangers that way.

Graeme

Can you place place threads in the state/territory you reside in. Otherwise I'll copy them across, but I cant guarantee I wont accidently delete them.

Can you place place threads in the state/territory you reside in. Otherwise I'll copy them across, but I cant guarantee I wont accidently delete them.
    Can they go in the main section if we can easily post to any state? For example if I have some peacock moss for sale and its always easier for me to post it on my way to work, anyone in aus could buy it?
    My 80cm Cube - http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/53552-Zanes-High-Tech-80cm-Cube-Build

Anyone in Australia could view your thread in the qld sub forum.

Default Do I need to post a pic for the following ?

Hello Moderators.

If I want to sell my home made plant fert here, a photo would be a not required I am guessing.

I also make the equivilent to Melafix and Pimafix, basically to assist in my hobby.

I hope this isn't a silly question.

Cheers

Andrew

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast