Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journal: Nano paludarium "Wabi-kusa" style...!

Default Journal: Nano paludarium "Wabi-kusa" style...!

Hey all!

I've seen this being done on APC and PT and finally had some spare time to make one myself..
    As i understand it, "Wabi-kusa" is or means creating a moss ball and planting it with various aquatic and terrestrial plants, which is then kept semi submerged in a suitable container. (you can read a lot more about it on google)

Here's a bit of a guide, if someone's interested in making one themselves..

You'll need some clay (ideallyfrom a creek or river), spaghnum moss, scissors, fishing line or black cotton, tweezers, mosses, suitable aquatic and terrestrial plants.

I used different kinds of mosses, java moss, lichen, clover, selliganella, var. groundcover plants, japanese blood grass, lileopsis brasil., Ludwigia ovalis, Altherenthera. sp., Bacopa sp., Glosso, etc..

This is the clay ball wrapped in spaghnum moss:

Added different mosses and secured it again..

Added Java moss at the bottom, which will be always submerged:

And this is the finished product, for now... I will update this regulary and we'll see if Ludwigia @ Co. survive the coming weeks in my sunroom, where it should get plenty of light.

Cheers.
    Plantnut.

Nice Plantnut. I have seen them on the other forums and was wanting to something similar.

I had a bowl that I was going to do something similar to Graeme's bowl, but you have just changed my mind and I just might do a "Wabi-kusa" tomorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cant say iv'e seen these b4, looks very intricate, ur not a surgeon by any chance are u keep us updated as id'e like to see what it turns out like ?

seen lots of these over at TPT..

i think they look pretty cool...

yours is looking sweet Plantnut.. might give one of these a go...
    ... Cheers,
    Dylan.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

very cool....love the idea Where did you get such a nice assortment of moss from? did yu buy it or collect it?

Quote Originally Posted by fish_r View Post
    cant say iv'e seen these b4, looks very intricate, ur not a surgeon by any chance are u keep us updated as id'e like to see what it turns out like ?
    Plantnut is a chef.. both proffessions require delicate hands :P

Very nice Plantnut.

Thumbs up beautiful

That is really beautiful

I have seen something along these lines done by Amano.
    But to actually see one being created is awesome
    Thanks for taking the time to show us all how its done.

And you better keep it updated with photos!!!!! :-))

Graeme
    Read this very helpful thread on BSS .
    No pictures on your BSS advert? Then be prepared for it to be deleted ( read the rules )

sweet work, looking forward to seeing more later I've been inspired by those seen on other forums too, might give it a go sometime. This is a really good good guide too, most of the time you just see before and after shots
    Thanks for coming, and don't forget to purchase some orange drink, for the long drive home! -Principal Skinner

i think it looks a lot better than the ones on both apc and pt, yes keep us informed! and your macro shots are once again amazing

Hey guys!

Thanks, for all the comments and compliments!

We will see how this little thing will develop in the next few weeks and what plants are more suitable than others..

I think that it would be quiet intersting to see some "wabi-kusa's" from you guys, as every single one of those balls grows in differently, especially when using different aquatic plants or mosses from different locations...

I've just checked on mine and noticed that hygrophila "sunset" doesn't quiet like it, so it might be smarter to use an already emersed grown stem from the start...

ur not a surgeon by any chance are u?
    Planting several Glosso, Lileopsis, hairgrass and moss carpets over the past few years gets you pretty much used to working with tweezers.. Beats watching TV anytime! ;-)

Where did you get such a nice assortment of moss from? did yu buy it or collect it?
    Mosses are all collected from my backyard or have been collected and propagated. Growing/collecting mosses is one of my "other" hobbies..

And you better keep it updated with photos!!!!! :-))
    Will do! That's the whole point of this thread! I've been quiet impressed with how the other "wabi kusa's" grew into unique mini scapes and i'm quiet curious how mine will turn out...

Cheers

Default Update.

Hey guys!

It's Wabi Kusa - update time.

I've kept this little thing now for over 3 months in the same spot in my sunroom and only sprayed it when i maintained my broms and other stuff.

Growth has been steady and not that bad, considering its winter and it's just standing in front of a window in an unheated room.

Some pics:

Some lileopsis, ludwigia, Soleirolia soleirolii closeups!

Some bacopa sp. from my pond.

Terrestrial starmoss (thats what i call it anyway... It seems to appreciate a lot of moisture and acidic conditions)

Enjoy...
    Cheers.

looking awesome!!

is that some bloodgrass that has popped out the side? I love bloodgrass.

looking nice, its very interesting.

However i can't help but think that it would be lots of fun to put some sortof plastic cover over it so its sealed then instaling a diy CO2 reactor. you'll have to cut a small hole in the top of it to allow gasses to excape but the CO2 should just build up

Andrew

actually if you had high enough sides, the co2 would stay at the bottom because it is more dense then air! whats in the other containers? mosses? terrestrial ones?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast