PDA

View Full Version : where'd those shrimp go??

MJay
03-10-07, 08:35 PM
Hey

A little while back livefish.com.au used to sell a 'long armed shrimp' but the don't seem to have them for sale anymore anyone know what species they are? or where i could source something similar? I tried some before but they didn't survive, i don't think i acclimatised them properly, and I would like to try them again.

cheers

coralnerd
03-10-07, 08:39 PM
They're a macrobrachium species. Not sure which one. They're really cool critters, but pretty agressive in my experience, although I've never kept the ones that livefish were selling.

aquagreen sells a different species with very nice markings. They sound like they might be less agressive.

MJay
03-10-07, 08:53 PM
arern't the ones sold by aquagreen only sold to ppl in NT?

"Distribution : This species is restricted to Northwest Australia, which is the top end of the NT and the Kimberley Region of WA. "

or does that mean it's only found there? i'm unsure? it might be a silly question....:o

The boy from Tas
03-10-07, 09:02 PM
pretty sure that means thats were they are found :p ;)

MJay
03-10-07, 09:03 PM
ok i thought it might of meant there only distributed/sold there, lol man i feel like a jackass :o:o

Dave
04-10-07, 04:57 AM
Hello Mjay,
the info bits on the Aquagreen pages are about the critter. I can sell you those if you want some. They are just like the other ones sold by Livefish.com. I am only guessing but I think the ones sold by Livefish would be Macrobrachium australiense which are slightly different but closely related to Macrobrachium bullatum. They both have nice patterns and colours when happy. Males have the biggest claws and both males and females will catch and eat little fishes at night when you are not watching.

Both species will eat snails and are a good bio control for snails if you dont want snails. I would suggest you get some off livefish if you keep your tank 25 deg C or below. If you have a warm tropical tank 26 or above then the M.bullatum may be better as they are from the tropics.

Cheers
Dave

MJay
04-10-07, 11:56 AM
Hello Mjay,
I would suggest you get some off livefish if you keep your tank 25 deg C or below. If you have a warm tropical tank 26 or above then the M.bullatum may be better as they are from the tropics.

Cheers
Dave

Live fish doesn't appear to sell them anymore, there not even listed on there page anymore. I would be interested to try some of yours Dave, Keeping the water at 26 or above won't be a problem once i get the power points sorted out, theres just never enough:( what size tank would you recommend? if i just wanted to keep a few?

Stuart Elflett
04-10-07, 01:45 PM
I noticed the Machrobrachium were gone, last time I was looking at ordering more Paratya - but didn't think twice about it as I don't need fish eating shrimp in my tank... I'll drop a message to Daniel to see if they are available or not now...

Cheers,
Stuart

MJay
04-10-07, 02:02 PM
Thanks stuart:)

livefish
04-10-07, 02:33 PM
Hi guys,
We've run out of them unfortunately at the moment - everybody seems to love them!

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks they'll be back up on the site when we get some more in, so keep an eye out if you are after some.

Sildan
04-10-07, 04:00 PM
I wonder how these M. Bullatum would affect otos and the C longisrostris. I really am getting annoyed with my ever expanding snail population.