PDA

View Full Version : Sydney Swap Meet - this Saturday April 30th - LOCATION UPDATE!!!!

victork
06-03-11, 09:42 PM
UPDATE 28/04/11: NOTE LOCATION UPDATE!!!!!

Date: Sat April 30th
Time: 11am
Where: Alexandria Park! (NOT Redfern Park as mentioned before my mistake). See map. More specifically the under the fig trees on crn of Power St and Wyndham St (if wet whether will move to sheltered area next to oval on power st at the T-intersection with Loveridge St). Its the same place as before. Its only a 12min walk from Redfern station.
Who: Anyone is welcome especially new members. You dont even need to bring anything to trade/swap/give away. At the last swap meet there was an abundance of plants that people were pushing it onto other ppl just to get them off their hands:) so its a great way to get plants for free :).

CONTACT DETAILS:

If you get lost on the day etc. You can:
1) Call me. My mob is *****
2) Email me
3) PM me
4) Reply to this thread

IF Coming from Redfern
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lawson+St&daddr=Wyndham+St&hl=en&geocode=FRrb-v0dvBwDCQ%3BFd64-v0d-B4DCQ&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=16&dirflg=w&sll=-33.895622,151.199105&sspn=0.015531,0.032294&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16

If COming from Green Square
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y291/utegod/map-1.jpg

Attending People:
Me
Nero
Evicene
Lazynode (bringing shrimps as bribe to come :P)
Forever Mango
Davo
Hip
Lots more that I havent been bothered to update

Victor

davo0192
06-03-11, 10:33 PM
I'll be interested.
I got too many pairs of guppies and Albino BN.
Check out youtube video for more info
Will be bringing 2 pairs of guppies and 2 Albino BN if anyone is interested for trade or cash buys.
Thanks
David.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga5lYgX6nVE

lazynode
07-03-11, 10:51 AM
Hi Victor, I'm always in.
Throw up a poll and lets vote

SOLOMON
07-03-11, 11:43 AM
I've been pretty slack I should get to one. Working most weekends though..

odie_88
07-03-11, 11:58 AM
I missed the last Swap (Parra) due to re-prioritisation (see Married couple’s handbook). I’m definitely will try (see trickery, bribery, and need to know tactics) to attend this next one…

victork
10-03-11, 02:24 PM
Bump. Only 9 votes? Thats less than the number of people who turned up to the last swap meet.

if you're interested just drop a post and vote.

SOLOMON
10-03-11, 02:34 PM
I said may and onwards...I could bring a tonne of glosso..and grow out some other stuff before then.

MJay
10-03-11, 03:47 PM
This Saturday suits me :rolleyes:

SOLOMON
10-03-11, 06:19 PM
Just for anyone catching the train, I believe the tarrifs have now been lifted from both Green Square and Mascot stations so it should be the same price for travelling equivalent distances on other train lines.

Blah3
11-03-11, 10:12 AM
Ill be on board!

victork
14-03-11, 03:40 PM
Thanks for those that voted. Well i think march is out considering its already mid march.

Given the votes are split between April and May I'm going to propose late April for now.

Everyone is welcome. Drop a post to let give us a rough idea of numbers.

johnniesgarden
18-03-11, 07:46 PM
I could come along too! It's been quite a while since I've been to one :-)

If we could finalised a date soon, that'll be great. As I also work weekends now, I could swap rosters, if given enough time.

I have some Rotalas, Vals, Elatines etc to bring along...

Forever-mango
05-04-11, 01:06 AM
I should be able to come this time around.

Not much to bring. maybe heaps of Staurogyne sp 'Tropica' if anyone wants any...

victork
05-04-11, 07:18 AM
oh man i totally forgot about this. Well what do people think about sat April 30th. I've updated the first thread. Last day of april. thats also the last weekend ill be in syd before i go o/s for work for a month. Of course someone else wants to take over organising.

ok well put up a post if you can make April 30th (sat)

victork
10-04-11, 03:30 PM
hello? anyone? 20 days away. If we dont get enough numbers by the end of the week we might have to post phone it till later. At the moment it'll probable have to be June since im going to be o/s for a month.

btw can someone remind me how to throw up another poll. I dont know how I did it before but i thought i might do another one to find out how many people are coming.

nero
10-04-11, 04:32 PM
I'll be in for april 30... I'll wait till you change the voting before I vote? Or U wanna start a new thread?

victork
11-04-11, 02:36 PM
Ok cant figure up how to do a new poll so just go manual. Even if you are not sure if u can make it but are interested just drop a post and ill still add you

Attending People:
Me
Nero
Evicene

Evicene
11-04-11, 02:51 PM
Ill most likely come :)

victork
15-04-11, 06:57 PM
come on guys. Gotta be more than 3 people.

lazynode
15-04-11, 07:10 PM
I'll come. And I'll bring SHRIMP!!

Hopefully that should bribe more people to attend.

nero
15-04-11, 09:52 PM
OMG SHRIMP!!! wooo!
I should be able to bring some cuttings, maybe some gear I dont need.

victork
18-04-11, 12:28 AM
Attending People:
Me
Nero
Evicene
Lazynode (bringing shrimps as bribe to come :P)

Forever-mango
18-04-11, 01:50 AM
I will come, got to meet Victor finally xD

Will bring what ever i can take of the tank

Maybe some Echinodorus vesuvius or so.

davo0192
18-04-11, 09:41 AM
i'll be there...
Will be bringing to swap or sell.
5x 6 Pacific Blue Eyes (F2)
2x 3 Glassfish
3x Daphnia Cultures
Freeze Dried Blackworms Cubed and Loose
Duckweed
Amazon Frogbit
Azolla
..also anyone wants some Brown Marsh Frogs? Got heaps jumping around the garden atm.

Thanks
David.

Hip
18-04-11, 10:57 AM
If I have nothing to bring can I come as well? :( i just started my tank though.

got some java fern (big leave one) and rekon its too big in my tank but I dont think anyone will like/need it :D

victork
18-04-11, 11:26 AM
Cool, davo and stephen are coming.

Well i'll bring some RCS and some plant clippings. Should be things like blood red star grass, styauro, rotalas, ludwigia aromatica, maybe some UG.

And guys let us know if theres anything in particular you are looking for.

If I have nothing to bring can I come as well? :( i just started my tank though.

got some java fern (big leave one) and rekon its too big in my tank but I dont think anyone will like/need it :D

Hey Hip,

anyone is welcome, you dont have to bring anything. I'm sure someone will take the java fern...i think i might have a spot for it actually:p

davo0192
18-04-11, 12:06 PM
Hip, if you are new to the hobby I am sure me and some of the other guys would love to give u some stuff to get you started..
and that I am sure will apply to all new people coming to the hobby.
Thanks
David.

Hip
18-04-11, 12:20 PM
Awesome, will definitely going then. Do we know what time approx and where about in the park? I see the park is pretty big but there's a cafe across the road which seem quite nice. Not sure if they open on the weekend though.

victork
18-04-11, 12:35 PM
we'll be on the redfern street side. Havent decided which corner yet. I live adjacent to the park so i'll have a closer look when i go to woolies.

lazynode
18-04-11, 01:14 PM
..also anyone wants some Brown Marsh Frogs? Got heaps jumping around the garden atm.

FYI: It's not a good idea to swap frogs and tadpoles around, something about them being protected and they can spread froggy diseases to other areas.

But everything else sounds good, I'm in for duckweed! I left my container on the table at the last meeting in Parra.

odie_88
18-04-11, 01:24 PM
I'm gonna try to make this time...

I may have .....
- 0.5ft and 1 ft tank
- octangonal tank
- loose riccia
- crab cuisine
- RCS
- sponge filter
- porous rocks
bottle of Algaefix and Magic clear
- Blue Stricta, java fern , pogo, belem, ambulia etc etc...

davo0192
18-04-11, 02:15 PM
yeah i agree..brown marsh frogs cover 97% of the sydney landscape...
Oh well will keep it at home then..
that's according to some guys from FATS that I know but...

nero
18-04-11, 04:18 PM
I'll have to make a list of what I can bring in. Some of it i wont bring unless someone says they want it, coz im getting there on public transport. Like this piece of texas holey rock ive got lying round with no use for.

johnniesgarden
19-04-11, 05:28 PM
What time is the meet? Unfortunately, I have to take the car to yearly servicing in the morning... otherwise, I'm happy to drop by as I haven't been to one for quite some time... I have some plants from my tank that I could bring along...

Cheers,

Johnnie

aussie
20-04-11, 09:02 AM
so its ok to drop by even if I don't have anything to swap? Would love to have a chat about this stuff.

Evicene
20-04-11, 09:36 AM
I can bring:
blyxa
staurogyne tropica
RCS
And some other bits a pieces if people are interested?

Im looksing for hc,ug,glosso,red nose shrimp, threadfin rainbows, etc

victork
20-04-11, 10:02 AM
I can bring some UG.

Aussie, everyone is welcome to come even if you dont have anything to swap. You'll probably be able to walk away with lots of new plants as well too.

aussie
20-04-11, 11:17 AM
cool, I'll see if I can turn up, it may depend on workload.

victork
22-04-11, 09:20 PM
bump.

so far theres only 7 on the definite list and couple on the maybe. Anymore people. Do u guys reckon 7 ppl is enough?

Hip
22-04-11, 10:50 PM
bump

I can persuade another one from Canberra that makes 8. Pretty good number to me ;)

nero
23-04-11, 07:07 AM
Might get some more interest next week as the date gets closer?

foti
23-04-11, 02:28 PM
Alpha John89 & I should bew able to come unless something comes up
it seems like this time around this meet will be bigger!
i should be able to bring afew things again even tho last time i left with more than i went with!
i can bring 3 bags of 4 white clouts or guppies or native shrimp but only if somebody wants them?
pm me thanks

dragons girl
23-04-11, 06:35 PM
Hey guys

What time is the meet on ???? I am thinking of coming atm

Kylie

victork
23-04-11, 07:51 PM
11am at the moment. All the details are on the very first post.

At the moment its still on! But ill confirm this mid next week. If we can get like 10 confirmed then it'll be on

johnniesgarden
23-04-11, 08:07 PM
I'll join you all if it's after midday...

Cheers,

Johnnie

Tucker
23-04-11, 08:41 PM
I am pretty sure I can turn up also. I would love to meet some of the people who have helped me out with plants and things - looking at you Dragons Girl :).

Only problem is that I do not have much to trade - but I will bring along what I do have. When I get home tomorrow I will update my post with a list of what I do have.

Tuck

delvish
23-04-11, 08:47 PM
Im very keen.... have nothing to swap willing to purchase only just got my 1st tank cycled looking for plants and some small livestock

cant wait
Scott

victork
23-04-11, 08:53 PM
cool sounds like theres more people coming.

To new members/comers:
New members are more than welcome to come and part take even if you dont have anything to offer. Chances are you'll walk away with lots of freebies.

nero
24-04-11, 12:15 PM
Just did a prune yesterday, Ive kept all the stuff rather than tossing it, but most of them are just the fast growing stem plants so I dunno if anyone will want them. I've got some Bacopa, pink baby tears, myriophyllum, and quite a bit of ambullia. If anyone coming is interested let me know and i'll make sure I bring enough for you.
I do have this holey rock too, I'll take a pic if anyone thinks they might be interested? I don't want to lug it all the way in if no one wants it though. Also can bring in some ready made containers of drop checker water at whatever hardness you want, and also can make up some PMDD solution for anyone who wants.
let me know :)

victork
25-04-11, 10:49 PM
bump.

at the moment it looks like it's still on. IM sure there will be plenty of freebies for new comers so everyone should come if u can make it even if you have nothing to bring.

victor

johnniesgarden
26-04-11, 09:02 AM
If you all still around 12pm-ish, I'll try to drop by. Hopefully, I'll still recognise Lazynode from the very first Sydney swap & meet :-)

Cheers,

Johnnie

victork
26-04-11, 01:20 PM
last time it went for about an hour and a half so you might be able to catch us towards the end of it :)

johnniesgarden
26-04-11, 01:36 PM
Thanks Victor, I'll try to swing by... I'm hoping the annual car servicing doesn't take too long... let alone too costly..

If I manage to come along, might be bringing some Rotalas, Blyxa japonica & whatever I could trim from my tank..

Cheers,

Johnnie

MCXY
26-04-11, 02:45 PM
I'd love to come too! I've just started a new tank and a newbie to this hobby so won't be able to bring much. Maybe some baby cherry shrimps? Will that be alright? Also, would love to buy some Subwassertang if anyone has some to spare. Can't wait! See you this sat!

Maddi

Forever-mango
27-04-11, 12:36 AM
Any plants I have left over i would bring along on Sat if nothing comes up

I got some Subwassertang, if you want any :)

Also looking for some cherry shrimps if anyone has some...

And if anyone would like to save shipping on the plants i have on sale. I can bring them along on sat :)

aussie
27-04-11, 09:34 AM
I'll be there, I don't have anything, btw is there parking close by? I don't live anywhere close to a station

victork
27-04-11, 09:43 AM
yeh lots of street parking

you wont have to walk much if your going to drive

aussie
27-04-11, 09:45 AM
awesome, see you guys there.

johnniesgarden
27-04-11, 03:48 PM
Hey aussie,

there's some angled parking spots on the Chalmers St side of Redfern Park that I've noticed the other time I drove past there...

Cheers,

Johnnie

forocious
27-04-11, 04:57 PM
i have an assessment this weekend.. but hopeful-ly i can come for an hour or so. dont have much to bring to be honest though. i gave away all my stuff to a friend last month including mountain clouds, shrimp, aquasoils, plants and even a tonne of rocks :/
umm ill see what i can rustle up though i guess? i srsly dont think i have anything left though sadly

aussie
28-04-11, 07:27 AM
has anyone got any bristlenose? I'd like 2 commons just to add to my clean up crew. If anyone has any for the sydney meet, I'd be happy to buy them off you. Two of my sae's died recently (only after 2 weeks!) but its funny because all the other fish are happy and healthy. They seemed to get really stressed, breathing heavily and they passed. I think one got eaten whilst it was sick. Mods move this if this is in the incorrect place.

Shrimplet
28-04-11, 09:06 AM
Bump Bump Bump...

Anyone with CRS?

Hip
28-04-11, 11:18 AM
I would like to purchase a couple of small BN as well if anyone can bring them.

Cheers

Forever-mango
28-04-11, 08:12 PM
One question, what happens when it rains??

And Vic can you pm me your number incase i get lost >.>

aussie
28-04-11, 08:25 PM
forever can you reply to my pm?

victork
28-04-11, 08:47 PM
good wet weather question.

does anyone know if there are undercover areas around there? I do recall seeing some under cover areas last time but cannot remember for sure? I'll check the weather again tomorrow for Sat and if its definitely raining i'll either move it to another location at Sydney uni or i'll swing by the park and check if there is some undercover areas.

NOTE ON LOCATION UPDATE!!!

I got the location mixed up and wrote Redfern Park. Its not at redfern park its at the same place as last time. ALEXANDRIA PARK!!!

NOTE: Ill have my phone with my on the day. To get in touch with me simply:
1) Call me (My number is on the first thread)
2) Send me a pm
3) Send me an email
4) Post on this thread.

Forever-mango
28-04-11, 09:00 PM
Cool, will check it out tomorrow on my missus' comp :P my net is capped

I will be packing plants tonight and transfer into a holding tank for the meeting day :)

If anyone wants anything, let me know asap so i dont miss you out

Cheers
Stephen

Shrimplet
28-04-11, 09:28 PM
Which one is Alexandria Park?

I only know Redfern Park where there's a stadium there...
Anyone care to enlighten me?

victork
28-04-11, 09:32 PM
All details are on the very first thread.

They are not too far from each other.

johnniesgarden
28-04-11, 09:34 PM
Hey Victor,

Just a suggestion...how about Victoria Park (opposite Broadway Shopping Centre)? If it rains, we could congregate inside the shopping centre. At least there's 3 hrs free parking (undercover) there...

http://www.bom.gov.au/nsw/forecasts/sydney.shtml

It doesn't look too good for Saturday (weather-wise) :(

Cheers,

Johnnie

Hip
28-04-11, 09:54 PM
Victoria Park sounds like a good plan, and the Shopping centre or even Uni Lodge is good as they have a foyer with heaps of tables and chairs.

victork
28-04-11, 10:03 PM
might be a bit late to be changing things. Victoria park is quite nice and there is free parking at the mall. But at Alexandria park you have street parking 5meters from where we would do our swap meet so i dont think thats an issue.

i dont like the idea of the shopping center... might look a little strange.

yeh i;ve been keeping an eye on that and Sat does look like its raining but bom can be fairly off sometimes particularly 2 days out.

aussie
28-04-11, 10:29 PM
well hopefully its good weather. I'm sick of the rain.

Forever-mango
29-04-11, 12:03 AM
Also if anyone can bring me some clean HC that would be great. Dont need alot, want to grow a little in my tank for my future scapes.

Cheers
Stephen

aussie
29-04-11, 07:31 AM
Could someone let me know what to bring for a new person? I was thinking bags and a big tray.

If anyone has the following to sell/giving for free :), I'd be more than happy to take them off you:

cold freshwater snails

SAEs (true siamensis)

Or if people can write down what they are bringing?

victork
29-04-11, 09:56 AM
I dropped by Alexandria Park and there some under cover areas with benches.

The weather looks like it might just hold off tomorrow...or at least it doesnt look like its going to pour whole day. So its still on at Alexandria Park!

odie_88
29-04-11, 10:17 AM
doh, I don't think I'm able to attend tomorrow

Evicene
29-04-11, 10:23 AM
oh change to tomorrow O.o

nero
29-04-11, 10:53 AM
Any takers for that Holey rock? Not asking anything in return! I wont bring it in tho unless someone asks for it.
Cheers,
Nero

aussie
29-04-11, 12:00 PM
have you got a photo? and rough dimensions? maybe put ur hand as a reference.

Hip
29-04-11, 12:09 PM
Hey nero, I dont mind having that Holey rock for my new tank if you can bring it. Thanks.

Cheers

Forever-mango
29-04-11, 12:59 PM
I guess bring snyhting you eant to get rid of, and I sure someone will take it :)

Hip
29-04-11, 03:03 PM
I'll have 2 SAEs to bring since they can potentially eat my CRSs ggrrr...

aussie - I see you are interested in those guys, we'll see if I can catch them tonight.

Evicene
29-04-11, 03:04 PM
anyone got darwin long nose shrimp or threadfin rainbows they can bring?

foti
29-04-11, 05:32 PM
looks like im going to miss this meet!
i have a wedding!
i really wanted to make this one as it sounds like the turn out will be tripled
enjoy hopefully it doesnt rain!

davo0192
29-04-11, 07:39 PM
sigh..
looks like the only thing i can now bring are:
2x Pacific Blue Eyes (F2)
1x Nadoo sp.

See u all in a few hours ppl..hope the weather holds up

aussie
29-04-11, 08:45 PM
@hip thanks buddy

victork
29-04-11, 10:00 PM
oh change to tomorrow O.o

its always been sat the 30th. I dont think that has changed. I just made a mistake with the location and wrote redfern park instead of alexandria park

Looks like its going to rain a little tomorrow but doesnt seem like its going to be heavy so we should be good :)

see u all there tomorrow

Forever-mango
29-04-11, 10:12 PM
Don't cancel it now, I got all the plants at the missus' tank now :(

aussie
29-04-11, 10:36 PM
pls don't cancel I want stuff!

Hip
30-04-11, 02:17 AM
I'm going anyway ... just finished catching all my SAEs and Cardinals lol. (pretty easy job when they (we) are sleeping) :D

C u all there.

nero
30-04-11, 05:48 AM
just dropped in 2 check the thread :) i'll start bagging some plants and get ready. i'll bring the rock 2.

johnniesgarden
30-04-11, 06:21 AM
Just confirming that I'm still on track to be there by 12pm or thereafter. My car is now in for servicing while I'm sitting waiting. Hoping they'll get it done by 11am or so.

See you all!

aussie
30-04-11, 06:48 AM
Yay more SAEs, I do think they are quite lively and exciting to watch (crap colours but I like them)

Hip
30-04-11, 08:57 AM
Hate being early!

Shrimplet
30-04-11, 09:32 AM
Where are U guys?
Dun see anyone.

davo0192
30-04-11, 10:16 AM
hi guys
sorry to say that theres a few things happening at home that needs my attention.
If you guys would like some pacific blue eyes i've got 3 bags for the angfa auction.
thanks
David.

Forever-mango
30-04-11, 12:52 PM
What a great success today was, plenty on plants and shrimps to go around. I got rid of my plants and met some very nce people. Cant wait for the next meet up :)

dragons girl
30-04-11, 01:51 PM
:( :( couldnt make it :( hopefully i can make the next one :)

nero
30-04-11, 02:08 PM
Great to meet you all :)
The lotus looks awesome thanks mango, cardinals are settling in Hip, many thanks to everyone, I'm busy planting at the moment!
Peeps who I gave ferts/drop checker water 2, I'll find the calculator links for you tonight.
Nero

johnniesgarden
30-04-11, 02:45 PM
Have to say it was great meeting all those who turned up... and thanks for the plants

A big thank you to Victor for organising! I know it's not easy, especially if you're dealing with uncertain weather...

Hopefully, next meet up I'll be more prepared and will be able to bring more plants in...

Cheers,

Johnnie

Peeweeha
30-04-11, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the plants and advices guys. it was great and fun meeting you guys. Count me in for the next swap and meet, ill go for a chit chat :)

Peeweeha (peter)

victork
30-04-11, 04:14 PM
hey thanks to all that turned up. Looks like we had a decent turn out of about 10-15 ppl with lots of goodies to share despite the threat of rain.

It was great to put faces on members of the forum.

There was also some talk about getting these sydney swap meets to be a bit more regular and i think thats a great idea if we can consistently get the numbers. Eitherway, I was thinking we could have a regular meet every couple of months. Let me know what you think.

Shrimplet
30-04-11, 04:18 PM
Thanks Victor!
Hope to see U around soon.

matblack
30-04-11, 04:24 PM
Thanks Victork was nice to meet the Lady s , Gents & bonus Plants + shrimp

Hip
30-04-11, 05:09 PM
Thanks everyone for turning up :) was great fun and to see you all.

Whoever got my cardinals plz take care of them :D

Forever-mango
30-04-11, 05:41 PM
Hey Matt, nice to meet you too :)

How are the shrimps settling in for you?

Evicene
30-04-11, 06:29 PM
Thanks everyone for your generosity! Great to meet you all and i hope everyone's plants settle in well!

aussie
30-04-11, 06:51 PM
Thanks everyone for all the plants and stuff. @Hip, SAES are settling in nicely, not in the goldfish tank. I'm now suspicious that everytime I disturb the substrate in my goldfish tank, my SAEs get sick, and one of them is showing similar symptoms again. I'm just not sure what to do. :S

@ Forever: crypts and that red plant you sold look great, crypt is going through melt, but I guess thats normal. Complete change in fert concentration and water quality.

Aussie (JT)

matblack
30-04-11, 08:53 PM
Hey Matt, nice to meet you too :)

How are the shrimps settling in for you?

Cheers Mango , Shrimp Settled in sweet

Fish and a Banana Keeper
01-05-11, 05:44 AM
Anybody take piccies?

Would like to go to the next one. :)

lazynode
01-05-11, 08:55 AM
No pics ;) heh heh. You'll just have to come to the next one
Glad to hear everyones shrimps settled in. I came home to tend my shrimp tank and I still have lots of those buggers!

I loved how everyone played with the marimo balls , I saw how one lucky guy who got to take one home kept staring at it in his takeaway container

Thanks again for organizing victor, it was great fun

nero
02-05-11, 06:02 AM
Hey guys,
Instructions for the 200dkH drop checker solution:
Mix it with an equal amount of distilled water to give you 100dkH. So for example, 20ml of the 200dkH, and 20ml of distilled. Then you have a 100dkH solution.
Then measure out 96ml of distilled water. Add to that 4ml of the 100dkH solution. You now have your stock 4dkH solution. Keep it in a bottle and it will last quite some time for use in your drop checker.
To set up your drop checker:
put the 4dkH solution into your drop checker. Enough that it will not spill back out when you put the chceker in the tank. Add 4-5 drops of pH reagent. Put the checker in the tank, and you are done. You want the checker a lime green colour. It will take a few hours to equalise with the tank.
The beauty of keeping the 200dkh solution is you can make up slightly different drop checker solutions in case you want to raise or lower your co2 levels in your tank.