PDA

View Full Version : Advise on CO2 equipment purchase

catsgrave
15-08-07, 01:11 PM
Hello plant gurus,

I have saved some money and have decided to invest in some co2 equipment. I find diy C02 to be very inconsistent.

what do you guys think of this combo?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Automatic-CO2-1Liter-Cylinder-regulator-Solenoid-valve_W0QQitemZ330155269105QQihZ014QQcategoryZ6679 4QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Please give me some expert advise as this is my first time

cheers

Danus
15-08-07, 01:32 PM
Hi Catsgrave (I often wonder where that name came from) I bought this system for my 70 litre. It's a good price for what it is. I've had it on for nearly a month with no hassles. Before I bought it I spoke to a guy who bought the same system and had it running for maybe 5 months without any hassles but don't know anyone who's had one longer than that.
The regulator as far as I can tell is a fixed working pressure but that hasn't been an issue for me. It is a standard Aus size so you can go to a bigger bottle later. The solenoid appears at least from pics to be the same as the Azoo one. I have heard of the Azoo one occasionally sticking in the off position but apparently turnind it on and off a few times in a row exercises the sticking out and it's all good. I haven't had this happen on my system so far. The bottle is a real nice one provided you only have a small tank and I got mine filled at St Kilda aquarium no problems. Best to put it in the freezer overnight before you take it to get filled as liquid CO2 can boil off when filling if the bottle isn't cold enough. The check valve seems to get a tiny bit of water through it, although I've heard most of the glass ones do this and the only one that works really well is the ADA Cabachon Ruby. Only thing I wish it has that it doesn't is a valve cage on the bottle as I get a little nervous driving with it full in my car, I stand it up wedged behind the passenger seat and keep the windows down on the drive back. Also no tubing comes with it, I bought the Dupla CO2 tubing for about 10 bucks. So far I would recommend the system for smaller tanks based on the performance I've had. The seller is good and delivers real quick.
Any other questions ask away.
Cheers.

catsgrave
15-08-07, 06:17 PM
Hi Danus,

Thanks for the reply, I do have a couple of questions

The bottle is a real nice one provided you only have a small tank and I got mine filled at St Kilda aquarium no problems.

How much is it to get the bottle filled?

Only thing I wish it has that it doesn't is a valve cage on the bottle as I get a little nervous driving with it full in my car, I stand it up wedged behind the passenger seat and keep the windows down on the drive back

Wohh.... *nervous* is it safe? what is a valve cage? what you are afraid it will do? blow up?

I bought the Dupla CO2 tubing for about 10 bucks.

Where can i get this tube? st kilda?

So far I would recommend the system for smaller tanks based on the performance I've had

My tank is only 6 gallons or 22L.. its the aquaone126 36cm x 25 cm x 38 cm
do you think getting a co2 system is overkill? or i should just go with DIY co2 considering the small gallons?

i ordered some PMDD and also glosso from aquagreen and it just came today.. *rub hands. Going to start planting the glosso.. man its not easy..

I am asking to many questions so i will stop here ;) ... thanks so much

cheers

coralnerd
15-08-07, 07:28 PM
Wohh.... *nervous* is it safe? what is a valve cage? what you are afraid it will do? blow up?

She'll be right. Dive tanks have nothing protecting the valve, and I've driven around dozens of times with them rattling and rolling around in my car. The worst that has happened is the valve being opened slightly and losing a bit of air. As long as you wedge the tank so the valve can't be knocked its fine.