PDA

View Full Version : Backyard aquaculture

Danus
10-07-07, 03:59 PM
I used to muck around with this growing herbs by a 250 litre water feature stocked with fish but I had no idea so many Assie diy'ers were having a go in their backyards. Interesting...

http://www.backyardaquaponics.com

lazynode
18-07-07, 07:54 PM
Very interesting. But what substrate is used to grow the herbs in. Don't they need to root in something like soil?

holotype
18-07-07, 08:16 PM
Nope, they work on the same principle as hydroponics - the plant roots are submersed in nutrient rich water. The aquaponic method substitutes added fertilizers with ones produce naturally by fish etc.

Danus
18-07-07, 08:46 PM
A lot of the systems I've seen use growing beds with hydotron (a fire expanded clay ball) in them. You could use anything inert but it's a trade off between being heavy enough to provide stability and durability verses not being heavy enough to restrict root growth. I've seen people use scoria.
The growing bed sits on the edge of the the fish pool resting on one side. The advantage compared to suspending the plants in the pool is you can grow root type vegetables like carrots as well and the roots get a drain period where they get air as when the water drains out of the bed back into the pool it draws fresh air into the spaces in between the clay balls as it drains out.