PDA

View Full Version : Late spontaneous tank rupture

Pumpkinate
09-04-07, 05:43 PM
I'm having a bad Easter... on thursday someone stole a cannister filter, then I spent the long weekend in bed with a virus. Today I hear a sound like a waterfall and find my 500 litre tank to have ruptured a seal with it's contents rapidly flooding the room. Just couldn't believe it. Had to get the fish transferred real quick. I've never moved them before and the nets I have weren't big enough to do things properly.

I've had one tank rupture in the past. It was my first tank, over 20 years ago, and it ruptured on the first day I filled it. It had been built by a glazier rather than an aquarium manufacturer. So that was no great surprise.

This tank, however, was built by St George Aquariums and has been filled continuosly for around 10 years. It's never been moved or emptied since it was set up. It's on a welded stand that could frankly take 20 tonnes and there is a layer of foam between the glass and the stand. It's a 3 by 2.5 by 2.5 and it's made of 12mm glass. Can't understand why it would spontaneously rupture now, after all this time. I took photos but I can't attach them.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Rod
09-04-07, 05:54 PM
Did the glass break or a joint (silicone) let go??

Any cracks in your house??? There are a lot of dwellings on the east coast of Australia suffering movement because of extremely dry sub soil ground conditions

Pumpkinate
09-04-07, 06:04 PM
Did the glass break or a joint (silicone) let go??

Any cracks in your house??? There are a lot of dwellings on the east coast of Australia suffering movement because of extremely dry sub soil ground conditions

One of the silicon joints between the back and a side fell apart. I don't think it was due to movement of the floor... its on a really rigid welded frame (wish I could attach a photo!). Floor is dead level. It was surrounded by a Bubinga cabinet I made... it was frustrating to see it sitting in water with noone around to help me move it for a while.

shake
09-04-07, 07:08 PM
Sorry to hear Pumpkinate.

You are having a real bad few days. Hope you haven't lost any live stock.

Strange that it would happen after all those years.

zoggin eck
09-04-07, 08:08 PM
That's awful mate, I bet everyone here will offer sypathy too. I was complaining about being sick too these last few days but I'm gonna shut up now. Like shake said, hope you didn't have any losses. I have no idea how it would react to something like that, I can only hope I'd move fast enough to clean up properly. Did the glass break at all after the silicone gave way? I've a total phobia of broken glass on the floor so I hope not.

Not a good few days at all for you at all, sorry to hear it.

barrabob
09-04-07, 09:25 PM
yes that would really suck the last thing you want in our bedroom is 500 liters of water.

How did someone nick your canister filter??

If you catch them you can break all their fingers, I had a large problem where i am initially with kids breaking in and stealing stuff but once you have been around a while and fed them all they actually make good guard dogs.

holotype
09-04-07, 09:50 PM
Bad run of luck you've been having, sorry to hear about that. You should tell Laurie at St George, I don't know if there's anything he could suggest but you never know.

I've got a spare 2' tank if you need to borrow one for a while, let me know.

apalsson
10-04-07, 03:05 AM
Sorry to hear of your tank. I hope the fish are OK.
500 litres of water on the floor is nothing to joke about. I hope there was no serious damage.

SOLOMON
10-04-07, 07:26 AM
Hi Pumpkinate,
sorry to hear about your aquarium :(, hope you can get back on your feet soon.

Pumpkinate
10-04-07, 02:03 PM
Thanks everyone for your concern. If you have a hobby long enough there will be times your faith in it is tested! I did lose a Bristlenose catfish. He lived in a crack at the top of a large piece of driftwood and didn't get out when the water level went down. Discovered him later... all looking a bit dried up. Luckily the other fish seem OK. The tank had some large clown loaches and "Preposterous" the 35cm Hypostomus plecostomus. Would have been upset to lose him as he is a real pet.

I'm going to take the tank back to St George Aquariums to get it repaired.

Barrabob: the canister filter was nicked from the garden when I left it outside to dry after cleaning it.

Pumpkinate
10-04-07, 02:05 PM
Bad run of luck you've been having, sorry to hear about that. You should tell Laurie at St George, I don't know if there's anything he could suggest but you never know.

I've got a spare 2' tank if you need to borrow one for a while, let me know.

Thanks for the offer of the tank... I appreciate it. But what I've done is put the fish in a barrel while I get a spare tank ready today.

Cheers, Steve

coralnerd
10-04-07, 03:15 PM
That really sucks mate. Its always been a nightmare of mine, and my biggest tank is only 200L. Hope you get it all sorted out.

Pumpkinate
10-04-07, 03:29 PM
Thanks Scott. You've got to see hundreds of litres of water on the floor to believe it! I was still cleaning up today. Lifted the steel stand up and... whoosh, more water ran out that had been contained in the bottom of the stand.

Coming up in the not too distant future I will be building a new house and will be putting in a large concrete planted tank. When I do that I will have a drain in the fish room just in case...

Pumpkinate
11-04-07, 05:31 PM
I made some enquiries today and discovered that the industry considers glass-silicone aquariums to have a 20 year life span, after which time there is a significant risk of the silicone failing.

The industry recommendation is that before the 20 year mark the tank should be completely disassembled and re-siliconed.

I personally wonder if using intense metal halide lighting might speed things along. The inside of my timber aquarium cabinet is bleached white where it has been exposed to the metal halides. Also, I have a boat and I can tell you that silicone used in full sun has a very short lifespan... it goes yellow and breaks up after a few years.

Rod
11-04-07, 05:39 PM
I think you may be on the right track with your theory....

Tough way to find a problem.....perhaps the old metal frame tanks might come back into fashion as old tanks fall apart???

Eddie Would GO
11-04-07, 10:03 PM
Well mate it can only get better from hear =)