PDA

View Full Version : Thermo stat for substrate heater cables

Wilkie
06-04-07, 05:05 PM
Hi all,
A quick question regarding substrate heater cables. Do you think its worthwhile hooking them up to a thermostat? The particular cables I've got are meant to be on all the time or can be temperature regulated. I suspect that it takes more time for the substrate to heat up than the tank and as such the effectiveness might be limited if regulated. Any thoughts?

shake
06-04-07, 05:37 PM
What sort are the cables Wilkie.

I'm using the Dupla style cables with a Dupla thermostat.

If the cables you are using don't need them, then no use buying one. I'm thinking with those cables you might have to use an addition heater and the cables only supply a small amount of heat just enough to keep the plant roots warm and not strong enough to heat the entire tank.

Wilkie
06-04-07, 05:49 PM
Yeah sorry cables are Red Sea (40w)and are only to heat substrate not entire tank. Just thought I might be able to save electricity etc if not on all the time. But I'm thinking it would need separate thermostat with probe in substrate somewhere

shake
06-04-07, 06:01 PM
Yeah sorry cables are Red Sea (40w)and are only to heat substrate not entire tank. Just thought I might be able to save electricity etc if not on all the time. But I'm thinking it would need separate thermostat with probe in substrate somewhere

If your concern is to save electricity, then you can put them on a timer. Maybe 12hrs on during lights out and off when the lights are on. Or the other way around, or 1hr on then 1 hr off then 1 hr on, so on, so on.

Wilkie
06-04-07, 06:10 PM
Now thats some good lateral thinking. Thanks for that. Might try that and put a temperature probe in and see how we go.

destructivist
07-04-07, 05:36 PM
Maybe 12hrs on during lights out and off when the lights are on. Or the other way around, or 1hr on then 1 hr off then 1 hr on, so on, so on.

sorry to butt in on the thread but...

i have heard contradicting information about this. a couple of people have told me to keep them always on and other people to work on timer. one person told me that on a timer defeats the purpose. any thoughts? i myself am using the dupla thermik set which doesnt need a regulator.

holotype
07-04-07, 09:44 PM
There is some question as to whether or not substrate heating cables offer any real benefit, but they are a good way to heat a tank, large tanks moreso. I can't see any reason why not to put them on a timer with the lights, the slight temperature drop would mimic real conditions and not be enough of a change to trigger disease outbreak. I certainly wouldn't worry about bacteria in the gravel dieing, any would be minimal and not affect the body of water.

I've got a 20w cable in a 2' tank, I usually leave it on all the time but I did turn it off completely over summer with no apparant ill effects to fish or plants.